Re: USE flags ??

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 19:34 -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 08:40:00PM +0000, Nick Smith wrote:
> > i use gentoo primarily now because i like the feeling that every piece
> > of software on my system from the bootstrap up is compiled for my
> > hardware aka p4, every debian binary is built for a 386 machine to keep
> > compatibility! and on top of that a stable debian release takes years!
> > dont get me wrong i use to be die hard debian because of apt-get but i
> > have seen the light, emerge is way more powerful then apt and overall
> > system performance is far superior because you compile everything from
> > scratch for your system, debian was great when i was a newby and didnt
> > know how linux worked and it was great for a system that just worked,
> > that is of course if you can over look all the apt problems, do an
> > apt-get dist-upgrade and your entire system crashes, thats always nice.
> > i still like them both and still run both on servers, and i even
> > compared the two on two separate mail servers, and getnoo blew debian
> > away hands down on performance.  try it for yourself and you will see.
> > just dont try a stage 1 on a 386 or you will literally be there for
> > almost a week watching it compile.  it is designed for the power user
> > and for faster machines.
>
> Typical gentoo idiot.  Gentoo is nice in some ways, but you've listed
> none of them.  Go away.
>
> --
> Blast you and your estrogenical treachery!

To be honest. i started with redhat, then suse then debian. But i didnt
understand how to use it, so i thought id try gentoo, as it had great
docs. For a while it was fanastic. i loved it, i got the buzz that the
whole machine was built for my hardware. But after a year i became tired
of the constant compiles it just got on my nerves and i started to
notice that the proformance was that hot. So i gave debian a shot. This
time knowing what i was doing and how linux worked. I had my whole
desktop up in less than 3hrs *inc kernel and sid upgrade* compared to
the 3days of compiling for gentoo. To my surprise it was faster for me.
Unless i used the wrong use flags? but i actually found it alot better
for my use. the only thing i wish i had on debian was mplayer in the
main pool, but thats easierly fixed and xorg, but with sarge coming out
soon i can understand that.
I personally think what debian is doing is nooo different to what MS
does. Think aobut it, an upgrade every 2-3 years, except, obv more
stable lol and secure. But if you want to constantly compile by all
means but i personally choose debian, so much so that all my systems run
it and ive donated money to debian as well.

Just my 2cents
| Glyn Tebbutt |                d3c3it-linux@ntlworld.com |
|--------------'      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it |
| gpg-key: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it/d3c3it.gpg |
|        Lisa, if you dont like your job you dont strike, |
|         just go in everyday and do it really half-assed |
|                  Thats the American way. -Homer Simpson |