Re: cdrecord --scanbus

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:33:09 -0500, John Fleming wrote:

> Debian Sarge - I can burn CDs using K3B from the GUI, but I can't do
> anything that uses cdrecord from the console, e.g. mondoarchive or direct
> cdrecord commands.  Here's the response from cdrecord --scanbus:
>
> # cdrecord --scanbus
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
> Schilling
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
>       Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> version.
>
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open
> SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> cdrecord:
> cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
> cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .

I had the same problem before, until I installed the "ide-scsi" module.
Here is a list of my current relevant modules:

$ lsmod | grep -Ei 'scsi|cd|dvd|ide'
ide-scsi                8464   0  (autoclean)
scsi_mod               85312   4  (autoclean) [sr_mod sg sd_mod ide-scsi]
ide-cd                 27936   0
cdrom                  25056   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]
ide-detect               288   0  (autoclean) (unused)
ide-disk               12512  12  (autoclean)
ide-core               94108  12  (autoclean) [ide-scsi ide-cd ide-detect sis5513 ide-disk]

But mind you, I don't know if all of them are necessary. More over, my
CDRW works fine, but I haven't find the reason why my DVD does not work
yet... check out the full story in thread "Can't mount DVD any more"

tong