Re: Debian unstable vs Ubuntu

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:42:16 +0200, Joerg Rossdeutscher
<ratti@gesindel.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 26.10.2004, 15:17 +0200 schrieb Alex Polite:
> > So what's with this Ubuntu thing?
> >
> > I've read some reviews but they're all geared towards Mandrake users.
> >
> > How does it compare to the Debian unstable that I'm used to?
>
> This is a personally opinion:
>
> I tried it, since I have an AMD64 and I am not happy with Debian-pure64.
>
> Ubuntu was not bad, but I do not like it's "I-decide-for-you"-style,
> i.e. it asks not enough questions during installation, has no

you can specify 'custom' at install boot time and get a console only
install. i think it's equiv is expert26 in the original d-i. see:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/installation-custom

or set DEBCONF_PRIORITY like the regular debian d-i (not listed in the
ubuntu Fn help screens at install boot, but it seemed to work as
expected when i tried it....)

if you want seven web browsers, you're free to apt-get the others :)
or stick with a pure-debian install.  with so many choices available,
their selections for the "one" app per task won't mesh with
everybody's personal preference. userlinux is the same way.

for a distribution like this, i found that the cobind (fedora-based)
desktop ( www.cobind.com ) was pretty slick (it was also my first
experience with xfce4). they're a little slow getting up-to-date (it's
fc1-based and fc3 is nearly out the door). i love apt, so i installed
a sarge desktop with a very similar package set (xfce4,
firefox/thunderbird, abiword/gnumeric, gdm, synaptic, nautilus, etc),
and came up with a desktop even my mother can use. :)

> automatically-something-tool. And at the end of installation I found
> myself with postfix instead of exim.

userlinux and ubuntu are similiar (
www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/userlinux ), it's
unfortunate that they both chose postfix. i wouldve prefered the
debian default exim for ubuntu as well. haven't tried swapping out
postfix for exim yet, but will when i scrounge up another text box
(ubnutu made way for another test run of a recent d-i daily on this
one).

also would've preferred abiword/gnumeric to openoffice and thunderbird
instead of evolution on a personal desktop. ubuntu's selections make
more sense in a business environment however.

the number of "ubuntu-nized" packages kinda scares me.. i think
there's too many customized packages (like xandros), which makes it
harder to pull packages from the regular debian repositories if
desired.