Re: Debian unstable vs Ubuntu

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 03:17:14PM +0200, Alex Polite wrote:
> So what's with this Ubuntu thing?
>
> I've read some reviews but they're all geared towards Mandrake users.
>
> How does it compare to the Debian unstable that I'm used to?
>
> alex
>
> --
> Alex Polite
> http://polite.se

Debian			Ubuntu
unfunded		Funded
universal OS		Desktop OS
variable release cycle	6 month release cycle/18 month support cycles
has UNIX root user	has regular users use a SUDO-like interface
uses all debian pkgs	uses selected debian packages which are tweaked
has 11 arch		has 2 main archs (3 or 4 later)
ML support		ML and free support
CD are not free		CD are free (for now)
packages not itegrated
for desktop
			integreated packags for desktop use
gnome 2.6(optional)	gnome 2.8 (standard)
little advertising	much advertising
install CD only		install CD and bootable CD
-Kev

--

        (__)
        (oo)