Re: Kernel 2.6.8 and usb

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:07:38 -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> JohnOfArc wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:18:50 -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
>>

> Hmmm...  This looks like a group of Gigabyte mobo users all having the
> same problem.  I wonder if the bug is in the usb controller Gigabyte is
> using or in the kernel?  I also get some error messages related to usb
> with a 2.4.27-1-k7 Debian-built kernel too.  However, once it boots all
> usb devices work correctly.  The error on the 2.4 kernel during boot is
> usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout.  It will timeout anywhere from 4 to 10
> times before everything loads properly.

using 2.4.26-1-k7- tried .27, but it lacked alsa-module deb IIRC

the only boot message line that looks suspicious is

Oct 28 20:04:51 K7Debian kernel: usb-ohci.c: AMD756 erratum 4 workaround

if I have time this weekend, I'll see what I can find...  and
*understand* <g>

btw, Suse 9.1 live also recognized my devices, though I had to manually
mount them (unlike Mandrake). All the other live cd's I tried were Debian
based (big shock), and my Ubuntu install has same prob as Sarge, so I'm
suspecting might be Debian specific. Does Slack have live cd? I'll give it
a try if avail with a 2.6 kernel (a good excuse to add to my collection...)

> My printer is an HP Deskjet 895C and my scanner is an HP 6200 C.
>
> Oh, and about my mobo having a lan port as a firewire port, well, this
> mobo was made before firewire even existed.

I believe you speak truth