Re: regd max file size

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 05:49, Micheal Mukherji wrote:
> My apologies if you feel its not a thing related to debian.
>

> Is the 'maximum file size' a constraint of a particular file system
> implementation or the constraint of operating system?

Both, I believe. For example, 32bit versions of linux are limited to
smaller filesizes than are 64bit versions. However, there are filesize
limits that are particular to filesystems as well - Resierfs has a
maximum of 8TB^8 whereas fat32 has a maximum of 4GB (according to
wikipedia). So its possible that a given filesystem could allow larger
filesizes than the kernel can address or vis versa.

-davidc