Re: Kernel 2.6.8 and usb

----- Original Message -----
From: "JohnOfArc" <yustabeme@bellsouth.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.6.8 and usb

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:18:50 -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

> I have been having problems getting the 2.6 kernel to properly identify my
> usb ports when my printer and scanner are plugged in.  The boot process
> will hang where hotplug is loading the usb modules and configuring the usb
> devices.  The error is "control timeout on ep0in".

same here; never found anything useful Googling

> If the printer and
> scanner are not plugged in the computer will boot normally but only
> occasionally can I get "/etc/init.d/hotplug restart" to complete
> successfully.

never worked for me

> This weekend I downloaded Knoppix and found something interesting when
> booting in the "expert26" mode.  Hotplug will find the USB ports but not
> load anything.  It then says firewire is found on my computer (there is no
> firewire capability on this motherboard and I own no firewire devices) and
> goes on to "configure" the firewire devices it finds.

ditto on firewire (non-existent);

/* On the firewire question,   if you have a newer motherboard,  i.e. 4
years or so or newer,  the lan port is also a firewire port.
check you bios and/or win32 install if you have one on it.*/

> Once booted I can install my printer but it immediately says the printer
> is paused as no such device is available on this machine.
>
> Why this is so interesting is because I compiled my own 2.6.8 kernel
> using a Knoppix .config file.  Apparently there seems to be a bug either
> in the hardware on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-7IXE4) or in the way the
> Knoppix .config file is recognizing my hardware.

Knoppix indeed recognized and initialized my shiny new Sandisk 8-in-1 and
Canon A-75! What's this? uname -r shows a 2.4 kernel- hmmm,
musta entered boot params incorrectly- reboot to 2.6 kernel- same probs.
as in Sarge. Mandrake Move is only live cd I tried with 2.6 kernel that
actually worked, and it worked perfectly (re usb devices; actually, it's
pretty slick overall, and as an (ex) Drakie, I got a bit misty). However,
unable to translate Mandrake to Debian, so a reversion to a 2.4 kernel was
in order (now experiencing a more joyful state of mind). BTW, I'm using
ga-7ixe, so will be keenly watching thread- good luck to us both!!

/* Sorry can't help more,  but i'm a very new linux and debian user,   just
installed for the second time yesterday and logged on a actual user for the
first time this morning.  */