Re: Question about compiling the kernel

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 05:38:13PM +0800, Lian Liming wrote:
> Hi all,
>   This is a newbie's question about compiling kernel on debian.
>   I follow the steps to compile the kernel:
>       1) download the kernel source file;
>       2) use "menuconfig" to choose the compile options;
>       3) use "make-kpkg buildpackage -rev Custom.1 kernel_image" to
> generate .deb file
>       4) install the kernel by "dpkg -i
> kernel-image-2.6.6_Custom.1_i386.deb"
>    This process may take a long time.
>  My question is that if i want to change the compile options after
> having install the kernel. For example, i want to add some modules for
> the kernel.   Is it necessary for me to process the whole above four
> steps?  Or is there any simple way to do this?

You can skip step one of course, unless you want to compile a more
recent kernel than the one you downloaded already. Other than that,
you need to take the same steps. Of course you use "Custom.2" for the
revision name now. When you enter menuconfig the options you
previously had selected are still selected. You only need to find the
options for those modules you want to install and select them. The
time needed for compiling should be a lot smaller now, as you already
compiled most stuff the first time. The new modules are compiled, then
integrated and you're done.

"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill