Re: Debian unstable vs Ubuntu

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 09:03:25PM +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> What exactly does modconf do other than load a module and save it's name
> to /etc/modules? If you want to manage modules on your own, add their
> lines to /etc/modules.

Yeah, modconf is one of the more useless things Debian has ever come up
with.  The entire idea of /etc/modules ranks a close second.

> By the way, Debian Sarge also installs discover1 and hotplug by default,
> which will detect your hardware, and there is no modconf in the new
> installer.

Is it possible yet to not have discover installed?  I know perfectly well
what hardware is in my box... I'm not interested in some installer making
not-very-educated-guesses, or in that same installer having the ability to
change things later.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Do you realize how many holes there could be if
 msw@cox.net |     people would just take the time to take the dirt