Re: Can't Boot 2.6 Kernel -- IDE is a Module

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Brian White wrote:

> As far as I can tell, it's because the 2.6 kernel is compiled with IDE
> as a module instead of including it in the kernel proper.  Is there
> something I still need to do to allow this module to be loaded?

a) either compile your own kernel ... or modify your initrd.gz file that
   corresponds to your kernel
	- if you can add "modprobe ide" ( or equivalent ) into the initrd
	than you're all set

	- you'd need lots of other stuff config'd so that you can modify
	the initrd  depending on how that initrd was built

	#
	# cp /boot/initrd-xxx.gz /boot/initrd-test.gz
	# gzip -d  /boot/initrd-test.gz
	#
	# mount -o loop /boot/initrd-test /mnt/loop
	# cd /mnt/loop
	# see where all the commands are ( ./linuxrc or equiv )
	#	add "modprobe ide" in ./linuxrc
	# cd ~
	# umount /mnt/loop
	# gzip /boot/initrd-test
	# change grub/lilo to use your new initrd-test.gz file instead
	#

b) compiling a new kernel is 10x better/easier/faster/guaranteed to work

c ya
alvin