xserver-xfree86 managing different settings

How would I manage multiple settings with xfree86?  I read a bunch of
manpages but don't see what I want to do.

When my system boots, I want it to default to 640x480 mode, even though my
card supports 800x600 and 1024x768.  Then, if I want, I want to get to a
console prompt, and somehow restart x in a way that uses one of the higher
resolutions.

my eventual goal would be to normally be in 640x480 for easy reading, but
to switch to a higher supported resolution for file editing, or maybe
reading a webpage written for a larger size screen.  I would also like to
get my screen going in a vga or svga mode, but have no idea what I have to
do to set that up.  I know if the install script runs this way, there must
be a way.

I can't be the first person to want to do this, so how do I do this?
---
Scotty