486 Instruction Emulation

I am stuggling to get a kernel that will let me upgrade my
386 to the new libc. I compile my kernels from scratch because
I need weird things and I like to keep the number of modules low.

Can anyone verify if CONFIG_CPU_EMU486 is a valid option for the
kernel package kernel-source-2.4.27_2.4.27-5_all?

I see that it is called out for in the kernel-image-blah-386 .config
file but I've grepped the entire kernel source package and I
can't find any references to CONFIG_CPU_EMU486.

Is it possible that the kernel patch necessary to get CONFIG_CPU_EMU486
is not applied to the current kernel in the Debian kernel-source
package?