Re: printing black & white on a colour printer

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:19:32 -0700, Roy Pluschke <rjplus@shaw.ca> wrote:
> I also have a Deskjet, different model though. Even when I pick Greyscale in
> the Printout Mode under Resolution it still says something like:
>
>  300 dpi, greyscale, Black and Color Cart.
>
> This leads me to believe that the color catridge is used for greyscale
> printing or it is just a ripoff by HP to get us to by more ink.

This seems to be true for many HP printers, but not the Deskjet 710C
(see http://its.truman.edu/news/newsletters/HP_Deskjet_grayscale.stm
).  When I select grayscale from the kdeprint dialog, shouldn't send a
black & white image to the printer anyways?  Or does it still send the
colour image but (supposedly) flag a grayscale option in the driver?
It doesn't appear to do either, in my case.