Re: Debian unstable vs Ubuntu

Hello

Clive Menzies (<clive@clivemenzies.co.uk>) wrote:
> On (26/10/04 15:17), Alex Polite wrote:
>> So what's with this Ubuntu thing?
>>
>> I've read some reviews but they're all geared towards Mandrake users.
>>
>> How does it compare to the Debian unstable that I'm used to?
>
> I also use unstable and am very happy with it.  However, we've been
> trying a few of the Debian derived distros for ease of installation
> including Libranet, Ubuntu and Xandros.  So far Xandros seems to be
> the easiest to install but is limited in terms of the packages
> available and so you have to get into apt-pinning to ensure that
> non-Xandros debian packages don't break your system.  I didn't get
> much beyond the install for both Libranet and Ubuntu because IMHO the
> sarge d-i is as easy or even easier to install than both of these.  I
> haven't had a chance to play with Ubuntu and somewhat superficially
> took the view that if you've got sarge installed (or even sid come to
> that) why mess around with a derivative installation?

Because Ubuntu will (hopefully) give you a new release every six months,
and security support for the main component (which is of course only a
small part of what is included in Debian) for 18 months. This is at
least what they promist, we will see if they can keep that promise.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976