Re: Going to install testing: should I use sarge or woody installer?

<major snip>

> From: "Kevin Wang" <kevinwang1975@hotmail.com>

> Actually, if you installed with Woody and afterwards change sources
> list to
> testing, everything would go mad.
>
> So just use sarge to install if that's what finally you like to use.

It should not be a problem to use dist upgrade, you will replace most
if not all the packages, but it should work. If it doesn't then post
with your error messages, and file bug reports against those that
fail. Of course using a Sarge iso will also work, but it really
depends on your needs. It also depends on your hardware, if you have
new hardware then I would use the Sarge iso. It also depends on if
your system is a production system, if your system must be 99.999%
uptime and reliable, then woody would work. If this system is used at
home or not a critical system then Sarge should be fine, in fact some
people think Sarge is 99.998% ready for production. If your job
depended on it I would stick to woody, otherwise use Sarge.

As far as I know testing is the same as Sarge, untill testing is
frozen, and Sarge is released.  When Sarge is released after a little
while the new testing or etch, will begin anew.  So if you already
have Sarge in your source list you won't need to worry. That is
unless you want to follow testing, then it will be some time yet.

Rthoreau