Re: SB Live! with 2.6.8.1 kernel

Hello

Glenn Meehan (<glenn.meehan@optusnet.com.au>) wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 19:29, Andreas Janssen wrote:
>
>> Kernel 2.6 comes with both ALSA and OSS drivers. It is very likely
>> that discover/hotplug try to load both and because of that the card
>> does not work properly. Make sure the alsa-base and alsa-oss packages
>> are installed, and that /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/alsa-base is
>> present. Also disable or deinstall discover if you don't need it, or
>> make sure it won't load the emu10k1 module. hotplug should load the
>> necessary alsa drivers, all you need to do after that is to set the
>> volume.
>
> I have done all that you say, but it still is not working.
>
> should I tell kde the device is OSS or ALSA?
>
> I have checked all the volume levels (that I can) in alsamixer.
>
> kmix does not show any mixers available.
>
> lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> snd_emu10k1            91656  2
> [...]
>
> There is no mention of the sound card in dmesg.  Does this mean that
> the card is not being detected by the kernel?

Make sure that the OSS "emu10k1" module is not loaded. Set the KDE
soundserver to auto or better ALSA. Try if you can get sound before you
log into KDE, before the KDE sound server is started. Disable KDE's
option for restoring and setting the volume settings, set the volume
with alsamixer or alsamixergui, and run /etc/init.d/alsa to save the
settings. Also make sure your card is supported by the snd-emu10k1
driver (i.e. that is a real SB Live!, not the so called SB Live! build
by Dell).

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270