Re: WiFi

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Luke Kearney wrote:

> Hi List,
> I am looking to purchase a wireless PCI card for a new machine here at
> my home. I was wondering if anyone can share sucess or horror stories
> about the Elecom range of products. I am wanting to use one machine as

what is its chipset ????
	- if you cannot answer that, than you're in for some fun

	and which driver for it

look at the box very very carefully, but itd be even better if oyu can
see under the metal cover of the pci card
	- all manufacturers are famous for using a different chipset
	on the pci/pcmcia cards even if the make/model/version is
	the same

> the access point and one machine as the client. I wasn't planing to

good idea .. :-)

linux AP howto
	http://linux-wireless.org/AP/#AP

	== using ndiswrapper will most likely not allow you to be an AP

in order for linux  ( your wireless card ) to be used as an AP,
	- it must support Master mode for the AP and
	managed mode for the clients properly

	- if you want adhoc mode ... that's another ymmv
	- if you want shared key mode ... thats another ymmv
	- if you want 64bit wep or 128bit wep .... thats another ymmv
	- if you want WPA .... thats a major ymmv
	- lots o fun

> deploy a hardware access point though if the consensus is that a
> hardware access point is the better way to go I could certainly start
> looking at this.

if you use a commercial AP... you might be able to get online faster,
but they made a few bucks off of you

c ya
alvin