Re: WiFi

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 19:16:57 -0700 (PDT)
Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> spake thus:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Luke Kearney wrote:
>
> > Hi List,
> > I am looking to purchase a wireless PCI card for a new machine here at
> > my home. I was wondering if anyone can share sucess or horror stories
> > about the Elecom range of products. I am wanting to use one machine as
>
> what is its chipset ????
> 	- if you cannot answer that, than you're in for some fun

AR5001X+

> 	and which driver for it
>
> look at the box very very carefully, but itd be even better if oyu can
> see under the metal cover of the pci card
> 	- all manufacturers are famous for using a different chipset
> 	on the pci/pcmcia cards even if the make/model/version is
> 	the same

The staff get a bit wild eyed when they see customers opening the boxes
where I shop unfortunately. The Atheros website has a cool tool I have
just found for locating cards with their chipset ( which all makers had
similar tools ).

I guess the remaining question would be if anyone has had trouble with
the drivers for this chipset?

> > the access point and one machine as the client. I wasn't planing to
>
> good idea .. :-)
>
> linux AP howto
> 	http://linux-wireless.org/AP/#AP

'preciate the link.

> 	== using ndiswrapper will most likely not allow you to be an AP

Was going to stay away from ndiswrapper if possible.

> in order for linux  ( your wireless card ) to be used as an AP,
> 	- it must support Master mode for the AP and
> 	managed mode for the clients properly
>
> 	- if you want adhoc mode ... that's another ymmv
> 	- if you want shared key mode ... thats another ymmv
> 	- if you want 64bit wep or 128bit wep .... thats another ymmv
> 	- if you want WPA .... thats a major ymmv
> 	- lots o fun
>
> > deploy a hardware access point though if the consensus is that a
> > hardware access point is the better way to go I could certainly start
> > looking at this.
>
> if you use a commercial AP... you might be able to get online faster,
> but they made a few bucks off of you
>
> c ya
> alvin

Thanks