Re: Memory usage: buffer and cache

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 16:26 +0530, Micheal Mukherji wrote:
> Buffer is a logical cache maintained by the operating system in the
> main memory while cache is actually a physical hardware that the cpu
> uses to decrease the effective memory access time.
>
> Buffer cache is used to store the most recently accessed data from
> disk(or what so ever), so that they dont have to be fetched again from
> the disk. Its an optimization feature provided by the operating
> system. The Cache does similar thing but it sits between the cpu and
> the main memory and contains the most recently accessed data and
> instructions from the main memory so that in case they are accessed
> again, they need not be fetched again, thus improving the performance.
>
> Does that clear your doubt??

No, because Linux doesn't see the CPU cache.  I'd bet my last
kopek that Paul is talking about:

$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      1003760 kB
MemFree:         89652 kB
Buffers:        138752 kB   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Cached:         326116 kB   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
SwapCached:       7260 kB
Active:         542748 kB
Inactive:       157536 kB
HighTotal:       98240 kB
HighFree:          240 kB
LowTotal:       905520 kB
LowFree:         89412 kB
SwapTotal:     2097136 kB
SwapFree:      2072328 kB
Dirty:               4 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:         300828 kB
Slab:           203148 kB
Committed_AS:   673336 kB
PageTables:       2156 kB
VmallocTotal:   114680 kB
VmallocUsed:      4172 kB
VmallocChunk:   110468 kB

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"For me and windows it became a matter of easy to start with, and
becoming increasingly difficult to be productive as time went on,
and if something went wrong very difficult to fix, compared to
linux's large over head setting up and learning the system with
ease of use and the increase in productivity becoming larger the
longer I use the system."
Rohan Nicholls , The Netherlands