Re: ssh tput error 'tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified'

Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> hmmm.,  But why am I getting this message when not everyone seems to get
> it?  I've tried, for instance, setting LogLevel = QUIET in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config, but no luck.

It may depend upon the shell and the way your .profile is setup - though most
people on this newsgroup use bash, I use tcsh.  (not at home to check) my
.cshrc probably refers to $TERM someplace, and csh/tcsh require more than just
quotes to stop a warning about an undefined variable.  If you're using tput to
set your prompt string, that would be a place to check on quoting, etc.  Most
bash users hardcode prompt and key-binding strings, so they wouldn't notice
this problem.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net