ssh tput error 'tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified'

hi folks,

I've been having this wierd error message when I ssh into my server:
'tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified'
it's repeated about 20 times when I ssh in with a command, e.g.

ssh server cat .bashrc
or
rsync server:/home/matt /home/matt

the error doesn't show up when I just ssh in to a login shell, e.g.:
ssh anarres

I've checked and $TERM is in fact set to 'xterm' on the client
temrinal before I execute the ocmmand, and in remote sessions started
with ssh.  So I don't understand why I get the error.  I've googled
around and not found much on this issue -- anzone have any ideas?

thanks,

Matt
 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User