Strange display ....

I have a compaq evo 800 (Pentium 4, 2GHz) portable pc dual-bootable both
win-XP & debian testing with kde 3.2.2 desktop .
At home I use the box as is and both win xp and debian work great.
Instead at work where I plug the pc into a docking-station endowed of
its own 21" monitor, mouse and keyboard, while under windows XP there
are no problems, under kde 3.2 the 21" monitor shows one quarter
(one third?) roughly of the entire screen which, in any case, I can
scan moving the mouse around (the same happens with knoppix 3.4 but, in
this case, I cannot move around but I'm haplessly stuck to that portion
of screen.

What I noticed is that:

1) The docking station doesn't seem endowed of its own video card but
uses the ATI Radeon 7500 of the pc, its driver, *** and **** two more
drivers called (under win XP) "Unicenter Remote Control for Blank Host
Adapter" and "Unicenter Remote Control for Screen Capture Adapter".

2) I noticed that, while under win XP the switch turning on/off the
screen properly when you shut down or open the top cover of the pc (I
mean the monitor itself), under a linux console works fine but stops
working when a GUI like kde is activated.

What shall I do to fix the problem?

Ciao...