Re: problem with /etc/profile

> My /etc/profile is not being run when I reboot and log on.  Can anyone give me some advice about how to figure out what is wrong?  What should be calling it and when?  Would any failures get logged someplace?

How do you know it is not run?

Is the user's shell one that *should* run /etc/profile?

What happens if you log on on a text console, rather than through X?

Can I suggest you install fadscan (not part of Debian, but debs are
available) which was written specifically to answer that "Damn! I
changed something, but I now don't know what it is, what was it?"
question. Google for it.

Alexis