problem with /etc/profile

My /etc/profile is not being run when I reboot and log on.  Can anyone give me some advice about how to figure out what is wrong?  What should be calling it and when?  Would any failures get logged someplace?

I was fiddling around creating some Sxx links in /etc/rc2.d to start an X11 server, but I abandoned that effort and removed the links.  Now, something seems to have been damaged with the boot process (or login process) so that /etc/profile doesn't get called.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark