From: Scarletdown [mailto:gsutton9503@wavecable.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 4:16 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: swap space size

On Thursday 21 October 2004 03:55 pm, Gilbert, Joseph wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is an issue that I do not fully understand that I have always
> kind of taken for rote.  I was told back when I first started working
> with Unix that the swap space needed to be at least twice the size of
> physical memory in order to ensure a stable system.
>
> Is this truly the case?  How big of an issue is it?  What are the
> reasons behind it.

I tend to set the size of the swap partition to twice whatever the
maximum amount of RAM a particular system can take.  At least, that's
my personal policy on older systems (generally Pentium II or older).
For my primary workstation, I set the swap partition to the max RAM the
board can take (An ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, which can take up to 3GB of RAM,
though I only have 1GB at the moment).

Those are just my preferences.  The best way to determine what works
best for you is to simply experiment.  :D