Re: Webmin (Sarge)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, S.D.A. wrote:

> OK I moved a couple of the configs over to '/etc/webmin/',

>From where?

> but it's still
> borked. Looks like I'm going back to the upstream package. :(

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, you must give _complete_
details of _every_ step you took.  Or else it's going to be next to
impossible to find out what went on.

> I'll take another look at the Debian package, when it's been adopted, to
> see if it moves over the configuration files, when updating from the
> upstream version.

A policy-compliant Debian package will never ever mess with your local
configuration guaranteed.  So that's simply not going to happen.  The
message you saw earlier about moving a previous webmin installation
refered to a previous Debian package installation.  Computers are simply
not smart enough to deal with the near-infinite number of installation
possibilities outside the packaging system so Debian packages don't even
try.

Oh and I was wrong and you were right about aptitude.  You may want to
submit a wishlist bug asking for orphaned packages to be flagged.  It's
probably easy to implement and sounds like a useful feature.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>