tetex-bin fails installation

On my last upgrade, tetex-bin failed to install. I received the following in the debconf window:

The generation of some of the format files needed to run TeX, LaTeX etc. has failed. You will not be able to run these programs until this is fixed.

The most frequent cause for such a failure is that a new version of tetex-bin changed configuration files, but you did not accept the maintainers' version of a file you manually changed.

If you report this as a bug, please include the output of fmtutil, stored in /tmp/tetex.postinst.XXoQhR1x

That file is empty.

In the standard terminal I received:

Creating config file /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf with new version
done
Generating /var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf ... done
Regenerating /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg ... done
Running initex. This may take some time. ...
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.

I have removed and purged all the tetex packages (tetex-base, tetex-bin, tetex-extra), but I'm still unable to install tetex-bin. This has not happened on any other debian box.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Art Edwards