Re: Webmin (Sarge)

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 01:52:45PM -0400 or thereabouts, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, S.D.A. wrote:
>
> > It's not just the CRON module, but pretty much everything is borked. I
> > cannot read my Apache logs, fetchmail config, etc.
> >

> Ok so this is a much bigger problem.  The Debian packages expect configs
> to be in /etc/webmin/<modulename> is that where yours are?

They are wherever the upstream webmin installation script puts them. I'll check,
and if not in the proper place, will put them in the proper place.

However, Debian's Webmin on installation gave me a message noticing that there
was a previous Webin installation. Surely it's smart enough then, to move any
modules where they should be, or at the very least, inform the user where they
should go. I don't remember seeing such a notice.

> > I noticed when attempting to file a bug report via reportbug, that this
> > package has _been orphaned by Debian_.
> >

> Yes I orphaned it.  Yet I am assuming the role of a Dickensian uncle to
> the orphan for the time being.

OK :)

> > This is not good, I truly wish I'd known this before I trashed my upstream
> > working version and switched to the Debian package. I only switched because I
> > wasnted to keep everything vanilla Debian.
> >

> Overall a good policy.

Surely.

> > I think there should be a warning given when one attempts to install such a
> > package, via either apt-get, or aptitude. The warning should mention that the
> > package is orphaned, and to use at your own risk.
> >

> Actually I believe aptitude does.

Well, I use aptitude and it didn't give me any warning, I assure you.

> > Looks like one should probably use the upstream version, since it's
> > probably unlikely that anyone is going to adopt this package,
>
> On the contrary several people have stepped forward to take over
> maintainence.  It just hasn't sorted itself out just yet.

Sounds promising.

> > OR are you
> > saying that the upstream vesion is borked to?
> >

> That remains to be seen.  First we are going to need a lot more
> information about your setup.  What upstream version did you have?  What
> did you do to transition it to the Debian packages?

The current version. I had no issues with it.

I'll see if the modules being in the wrong place is the issue and report back.

Thanks for your time and patience.

--
Steve
  Wednesday Oct 20 2004 03:58:01 PM EDT