Re: X11 forwarding over SSH

Andrew Alsup wrote:

I have 2 debian servers: 1 running Woody and 1 running Sarge.  I'm
using PuTTY as my SSH client (from WinXP).  I can successfully tunnel
X (over SSH) on the Woody server.  However, I'm unable to get it
working on the Sarge server.

Both servers have the following in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> X11Forwarding yes
> X11DisplayOffset 10

One thing that I noticed: I am not setting the DISPLAY env variable
in my .profile (or .bash_profile) files.  There is no reference to
the DISPLAY env variable *anywhere*.  If I connect to the Woody
server (telling PuTTY to use X11 forwarding) then DISPLAY
automatically gets set to localhost:10.0.  If I connect to the Sarge
server (telling PuTTY to use X11 forwarding) DISPLAY is NOT
automatically set.  Its not in the env at all.

This is driving me crazy, and I'll bet its something stupid on my
part!

While you're connected with PuTTY, click on the icon in the top left corner to show the system menu and choose 'Event log'. A connection with successfull X11 forwarding will show the lines

2004-10-19 09:39:10	Requesting X11 forwarding
2004-10-19 09:39:10	X11 forwarding enabled

If the first line is missing, you haven't configured PuTTY configured properly. Otherwise there's still something wrong on the server side. Did you restart sshd after setting X11Forwarding to yes?

--
"Codito ergo sum"
Roel Schroeven