X11 forwarding over SSH

I have 2 debian servers: 1 running Woody and 1 running Sarge.  I'm using PuTTY as my SSH client (from WinXP).  I can successfully tunnel X (over SSH) on the Woody server.  However, I'm unable to get it working on the Sarge server.

Both servers have the following in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10

One thing that I noticed:
I am not setting the DISPLAY env variable in my .profile (or .bash_profile) files.  There is no reference to the DISPLAY env variable *anywhere*.  If I connect to the Woody server (telling PuTTY to use X11 forwarding) then DISPLAY automatically gets set to localhost:10.0.  If I connect to the Sarge server (telling PuTTY to use X11 forwarding) DISPLAY is NOT automatically set.  Its not in the env at all.

This is driving me crazy, and I'll bet its something stupid on my part!