Re: Thinkpad 600E and usb mouse

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:10:53PM -0400, Bernard Fay wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a Logitech MX700 usb mouse attached to my thinkpad but I can't
> get it to work.
>
> I thought that the module usbhid and usbmouse would have been enough but
> no that doesn't make it work.
>
> Do I need a cheese.ko to get it to work or what?
>
> Any advise?

I did the following on Toshiba laptop with Logitech Marble Trackball:

USB Human Interface (Mouse/Keyboard
1) ref. http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html
2) configure kernel for HID in USB section; built in to kernel
ensure the following are set:
# Input core support
CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
# USB support
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y

3) load new kernel
4) check that /proc/bus/usb/devices shows plugged in USB devices
5) cat /dev/input/mice
ensure that when the mouse is moved there is lots of
chars printed to the screen
6) ensure the USB mouse is configured (see XF86Config-4 in
appendix)
7) keyboard on USB port should just work
8) mousepad and keyboard on laptop should work simultaneously with
the external mouse and keyboard