Re: newbie question

Hello

Loz (<loz.unix@gmail.com>) wrote:

> Sorry, this is probably an obvious question, but I'm new to Debian
> (used Suse in the past, full of easy to use menus to do things, rather
> than fussing around with config files), and I've had a look with
> Google for the answer, but cannot find a definitive one.
>
> Anyway, on with the problem.
>
> I set up a British keyboard map during the install (I'm actually using
> the Demudi flavour of Agnula, a Debian based music release), but when
> I come into X, using Fluxbox, it seems to be set up for an American
> keyboard.
>
> Which file do I need to edit, and which setting do I need to set it to
> to change this?

The config file should be called /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
or /etc/X11/XF86Config. From my configuration:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

You can also run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and select the proper
layout. To change the layout for the console, run
dpkg-reconfigure console-common
or
dpkg-reconfigure console-data

best regards