Re: upgrade to sarge has sendmail rejecting mail

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Wayne Sitton wrote:

> Yesterday I upgraded to sarge on my email server.  Now suddenly and
> email sent to it gets sent back with
>
> ... while talking to zlabinc.com.:
> <<< 503 This mail server requires authentication. Please check your mail
> client settings.

The above is *not* a message in the sendmail distribution

> Now my client settings have not changed, only the sendmail
> server(upgrade).

Are you sure it was sendmail ?

> And the funny thing is, this only happens to one domain, while there are
> 4 others that are having no problem, plus I don't even send out through
> that server I send out through roadrunner, and none of my other email
> accounts have that problem

There isn't enough information above to do any diagnosis, but it may
not matter in the slightest if you send mail FROM the server - if it
wants inbound mail to be authenticated.

> And to add to the problem, when I try to check the email from that
> account, it will not accept the password yet I can ftp and ssh into the
> box with this password.

SASL was also upgraded - and it *COULD* cause this in that it changed
the way that the realms are handled for authentication... I think
there is a note regarding the changes in a README in the sasl doc dir.

--
Rick Nelson
<Flood> netgod: I also have a "Evil Inside" T-shirt (w/ Intel logo).. on