How to configure apt to retrieve Packages.bz2?

Hello,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked or answered before, but I
simply can not find the answer.  I've looked in every apt related
documentation package (apt, apt-doc, apt-howto), I've searched the web
using Google, with and without resticting to site:debian.org.  The apt
documentation is woefully inadequate when it comes to describing the
configuration of this very handy program.  The only thing I could find
which might be useful was at the link below.  But before attempting to
get the apt source and apply a patch that may or may not even work with
the current apt source, I figured I'd ask.

http://lists.debian.org/deity/2004/02/msg00146.html

Please leave out the "you shouldn't be asking such a stupid question"
reason why Packages.bz2 files have existed for several years, but are
not configured by default, and not explained how to do so in any
documentation a user could reasonably be expected to find.

Leif