Re: Kernel 2.6 compile problem

Russ Cook wrote:
I'm running unstable on a Pentium 2 machine, kernel 2.4.18.
I downloaded the kernel-source-2.6.8 deb package today, updated my config file, and
tried to compile the kernel.  I got the following errors:
make[2] [modins_post] Error 1
make[1] [real_stamp_image] Error 2

Needless to say, I did not get an installable .deb file as a result.
Can anyone offer suggestions of what I should look for to try to resolve this?
I have no idea what to do with these error messages.

Thanks much,
  Russ

I'm about sure this is unnecessary, but you *did* do `make mrproper` before compiling everything right? Ow, you better make a backup of that .config file as `make mrproper` may remove that file too (or is this fixed in the latest 2.6.x versions?) By the way, you may also want to compile a 2.4.26 as lots of things happened between 2.4.18 and the latest.. and because many things changed between 2.4.x and 2.6.x (just to reduce the number of problems you might run into...)

HTH,

Joris