Re: x-windows configuration in woody/sarge

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 12:39:47PM +0530, Vikas Rawal wrote:
> I have been trying to install debian on a Compaq Deskpro EN for last one
> week. I have tried both woody (stable) and sarge (testing). In both, the
> x-windows configuration does not work. In woody, installation went fine
> except that none of the video cards/monitor options there get x-windows
> running. I tried all sorts of options but no luck.
>
> Yesterday, I tried sarge. Sarge has to be installed using the
> netinstall. That meant some 500 mb of download, took some 13 hours, and
> at the end nothing worked.  I think the problem is again with x-windows.
>
> What does one do?
>
> Vikas

X-windows can be difficult. You probably have a working computer, except
for the x user interface. To test this theory, try a console screen by:

Press ctrl-alt-Fn where n is 1..6
You should see a login prompt.
Try logging in as root. If this succeeds, you do have a functioning, but
slight inconvenient, Debian installation.

Use it to investigate why x-windows doesn't work for you. Post any clues
that you don't understand, but be optimistic. You may be able to find
the problem yourself.

Try running 'startx'
Does this work?
Look for error messages if it doesn't.
Probably, you have not installed all the x related packages that you
need. But which ones? The error messages should give you a clue.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net