x-windows configuration in woody/sarge

I have been trying to install debian on a Compaq Deskpro EN for last one week. I have tried both woody (stable) and sarge (testing). In both, the x-windows configuration does not work. In woody, installation went fine except that none of the video cards/monitor options there get x-windows running. I tried all sorts of options but no luck.

Yesterday, I tried sarge. Sarge has to be installed using the netinstall. That meant some 500 mb of download, took some 13 hours, and at the end nothing worked. I think the problem is again with x-windows.

What does one do?

Vikas