Re: base-config error in Sarge

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 09:23:03PM +0530, Rituraj Buddhisagar wrote:
> Hi all;
>

> I am fairly new to debian. I took a bold step of replacing my WinXP
> office desktop with Debian Sarge.
>

> After initial install completes, it reboots. So far so good.
>

> I am getting problem in base-config when it asks for "package
> selection". I selected different options like Desktop , file server etc
> with different mirrors (with http as well as ftp) but it fails saying
> something like cannot proceed "as the packages might have been broken,
> or the system is out of space or u r having some other problem" etc etc.
> I have 25GB FREE space.

Since it says: 'the packages might have been broken' I suspect a problem
like I had on friday, especially since it happened at about the same
time you had your problem.

Sarge is still in a state of flux and packages are changing a lot. Even
the installer is not finished yet. Of course, you know all this, right?

The problem I ran into was that some package depended on another package
which was not (yet) in the archive. So, the system was not installable.
This was fixed and on saturday, I could install everything.

So: you could simply try again!

Of course, you can always run 'tasksel' as root to re-enter the package
selection process by selecting tasks. If you want to select individual
packages, use 'aptitude' (for a nice UI) or 'apt-get'.

> H/W: Dell desktop Optiplex GX270
>
> Method of installation Used: netboot from mini.iso

Which one? Debian installer pre-rc2? A daily build?

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!