base-config error in Sarge

Hi all;

I am fairly new to debian. I took a bold step of replacing my WinXP office desktop with Debian Sarge.

After initial install completes, it reboots. So far so good.

I am getting problem in base-config when it asks for “package selection”. I selected different options like Desktop , file server etc with different mirrors (with http as well as ftp) but it fails saying something like cannot proceed “as the packages might have been broken, or the system is out of space or u r having some other problem” etc etc. I have 25GB FREE space.

H/W: Dell desktop Optiplex GX270

Method of installation Used: netboot from mini.iso

Base-config: ftp / http (tried both with different mirrors)

Currently I am doing #apt-get install gnome to get GUI on my workstation. Its downloading from ftp. Lets see. Do I have to install anything else from apt-get to get my GUI running? I hope I can configure other things afterwards through synaptic.

Thanks and Regards;

Rituraj