Re: iptables - can't locate module ip_tables

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:46:37 +0300, Sebastien Venot
<sebastien.venot@students.turkuamk.fi> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I installed Debian and i compiled my kernel to get the verison 2.4.18.
> now i try to use ip masquerade to enable nat on the machine:
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.0.0/8 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> i got this error message:
> iptables - can't locate module ip_tables
>
> So i guess there is no module ip_tables in my debian machine.
> I successfully upgraded my kernel so if i do
> uname -a i can see the verison 2.4.18.
> what is wrong? how can i fix this without recompiling the whole kernel?

With "modprobe -l | grep ip_tables" you check if the module is
present, else you need to modify your config and rebuild your kernel.

Andrea

P.S. with the kernel headers you should be able to compile a module
without compiling the whole kernel, but probably you don't have
them... =)