iptables - can't locate module ip_tables

hello,

I installed Debian and i compiled my kernel to get the verison 2.4.18.
now i try to use ip masquerade to enable nat on the machine:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.0.0.0/8 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
i got this error message:
iptables - can't locate module ip_tables

So i guess there is no module ip_tables in my debian machine.
I successfully upgraded my kernel so if i do
uname -a i can see the verison 2.4.18.
what is wrong? how can i fix this without recompiling the whole kernel?

thanks a lot

sebastien