Re: Not optimal display -> DRI activation with ATI Radeon 9000

Selon Sylvain Vedrenne <sylvain.vedrenne@free.fr>:

> Hello Jean-François,
>
> > Here's what I get with "glxinfo"
> >
> > name of display: :0.0
> > display: :0  screen: 0
> > direct rendering: No
> So, it looks like DRI is not around, at least for OpenGL.
>
> > I don't know what to do? Is my kernel too old?
> I don't think so (I assume that someone would have told you so already).
>
> You could check if the Xserver tries to load the direct rendering:
>   %  cat /etc/X11/XF86Config | grep -i dri
> What does this return on your machine?
>
> It is necessary that this file (XF86Config) contains something like:
>   Load   "dri"
> If it doesn't, then you ought to add it in /etc/X11/XF86Config
> Section "Module" of this file will then look like this:
>
>   Section "Module"
>   # This loads the DBE extension module.
>       Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension
>   # This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
>   # initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
>       SubSection  "extmod"
>         Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
>       EndSubSection
>   # This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
>       Load        "type1"
>       Load        "freetype"
>   # This loads the GLX module
>       Load       "glx"
>       Load       "dri"        <=============== somewhere in section "Module"
>   EndSection
>
> If adding this line doesn't help or if it was present already in XF86Config,
> then... you could have a look at the latest X log file - I assume it
> is   /var/log/XFree86.0.log  - and check for error messages related to DRI.
> What does your log file say?
>
> Cheers,
> Sylvain.

Hi. Thanks for helping me.

Here is what I get when I try "cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 | grep -i dri"
        Load    "dri"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Driver          "ati"
Section "DRI"

And here is what I get about dri in /var/log/XFree86.0.log

(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
(II) Module dri: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 4.3.0.1, module version = 1.0.0
        ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.2

and

(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
(==) RADEON(0): Backing store disabled
(==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
(II) RADEON(0): Using hardware cursor (scanline 866)
(II) RADEON(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1152 x 7321
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) RADEON(0): DPMS enabled
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "UseInternalAGPGART" is not used
(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

Hummm. I don't know what to look for. Should I follow the instruction at
(http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html) or
it's not relevant to my problem?

--
Jean-François Lefebvre