Re: Not optimal display -> DRI activation with ATI Radeon 9000

Hello Jean-François,

> Here's what I get with "glxinfo"
>
> name of display: :0.0
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: No
So, it looks like DRI is not around, at least for OpenGL.

> I don't know what to do? Is my kernel too old?
I don't think so (I assume that someone would have told you so already).

You could check if the Xserver tries to load the direct rendering:
  %  cat /etc/X11/XF86Config | grep -i dri
What does this return on your machine?

It is necessary that this file (XF86Config) contains something like:
  Load   "dri"
If it doesn't, then you ought to add it in /etc/X11/XF86Config
Section "Module" of this file will then look like this:

  Section "Module"
  # This loads the DBE extension module.
      Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension
  # This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
  # initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
      SubSection  "extmod"
        Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
      EndSubSection
  # This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
      Load        "type1"
      Load        "freetype"
  # This loads the GLX module
      Load       "glx"
      Load       "dri"        <=============== somewhere in section "Module"
  EndSection

If adding this line doesn't help or if it was present already in XF86Config,
then... you could have a look at the latest X log file - I assume it
is   /var/log/XFree86.0.log  - and check for error messages related to DRI.
What does your log file say?

Cheers,
Sylvain.