Re: space-limiting /var/cache/apt/archives

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 12:52:18PM +0200, Robert Waldner wrote:

| On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:53:19 +0200, Maurits van Rees writes:
| >> Is it possible to somehow tell apt to use no more than X MB of
| >>  space for the archive, or not to keep more than Y versions of any
| >>  package? I can't find anything about it in apt.conf(5).

One solution would be to make that directory a separate file system.
Then when the filesystem's space is consumed apt won't be able to
exceed that limit.

| >The options for cleaning out the cache are worth checking out in the
| >docs. `apt-get autoclean' basically keeps the most recent package, so
| >you may want to run that - after reading the apt-get man page.
|
| Actually, having the previous version of any installed package around
|  is *quite* useful. Especially since I'm using unstable. So this isn't
|  what I'm looking for.
|
| Hmm, maybe I'll have to hack up a little shell-script to regularly
|  clean out...

Run 'aptitude autoclean' or 'aptitude clean' when desired.  Instead of
a shell script, just put that one line in a crontab to run it
automatically.

-D

--
The way of a fool seems right to him,