Re: space-limiting /var/cache/apt/archives

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:53:19 +0200, Maurits van Rees writes:
>> Is it possible to somehow tell apt to use no more than X MB of
>>  space for the archive, or not to keep more than Y versions of any
>>  package? I can't find anything about it in apt.conf(5).

>That man page has something that comes close (but not quite):
>
>Cache-Limit
>       APT  uses  a  fixed  size  memory mapped cache file to store the
>       'available' information. This sets the size of  that  cache  (in
>       bytes).

That's not, AIUI, what I need.

>The options for cleaning out the cache are worth checking out in the
>docs. `apt-get autoclean' basically keeps the most recent package, so
>you may want to run that - after reading the apt-get man page.

Actually, having the previous version of any installed package around
 is *quite* useful. Especially since I'm using unstable. So this isn't
 what I'm looking for.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to hack up a little shell-script to regularly
 clean out...

>> (Pls CC me on replies, I'm not on the list with this address)

>Done. But configuring your mail client to set a Reply-To header should
>work here.

Oh, I did that. The note was more for an eventual larger thread ;)

cheers,
&rw
--
-- "I'm told that the problem I have is an -IQ Conflict-"
-- "Yes, sir. I concur"