Alternative for kiwi syslog daemon and general questions about debian.

Hi to all!

Last weeks i am trying to move as much as possible from windows to linux
via the debian way and i like it...
But still i have a few questions about installations etc...

1) I am looking for a program that handles my SNMP traps from my
switches and routers.
I am now using kiwi syslog daemon on WinXP but i would like to use
something on linux with a mysql database if possible.
...This brings me to my second question...

2) I already understood that the best and easiest way to install and
staying up to date is to use apt-get, aptitude, dselect,...whatever.
So i installed a few programs via apt-get and also mysql...
But in the past i downloaded these programs from the original location
and i installed them with the parameters i wanted (--with-xx etc...)
For some programs i use i need to add additional parameters (like
apache, samba, squid,...)
So the question is, can i do this also with apt-get ?
And if i can, how will the updates be done later on ?
If i do a system update and there is a newer version available, will the
newer version be installed and override my previous settings ?
And what about the config files (httpd.conf, squid.conf, smb.conf) when
a new version is installed, do i loose my config files so that my
program is unusable ?

Cheers,
Philippe.

Disclaimer :

This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use by the person(s) mentioned as recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately.
This e-mail does not constitute any commitment for Sea-Ro Terminal N.V. or its subsidiaries except when expressly otherwise
agreed in a written agreement between the intended recipient and the originating subsidiaries of Sea-Ro Terminal  N.V.
Sea-Ro Terminal and each of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.

This mail has been checked for viruses by Symantec and Trend Micro.