Sarge with lilo?

I've been trying off and on to install Sarge onto a Gateway Solo 1150 laptop without great success.  Each time I would complete the install, the computer would reboot, and the laptop would hang at GRUB's boot loader.  Since I know that the installer is still evolving, I didn't think much of it.

Well after trying the latest netinst and Official Snapshot cdrom 1 today (again without total sucess) I decided to try an older Woody netinst cdrom I had.  Long story short it installed very quick and painless.  I am wondering now if it was just the difference between LiLo and GRUB.

If this is the case how would I go about finding out why GRUB doesn't seem to work?

Thanks all,
Preston