Re: Sarge with lilo?

Hello

Preston Boyington (<PBoyington@polyengineering.com>) wrote:

> I've been trying off and on to install Sarge onto a Gateway Solo 1150
> laptop without great success.  Each time I would complete the install,
> the computer would reboot, and the laptop would hang at GRUB's boot
> loader.  Since I know that the installer is still evolving, I didn't
> think much of it.
>
> Well after trying the latest netinst and Official Snapshot cdrom 1
> today (again without total sucess) I decided to try an older Woody
> netinst cdrom I had.  Long story short it installed very quick and
> painless.  I am wondering now if it was just the difference between
> LiLo and GRUB.
>
> If this is the case how would I go about finding out why GRUB doesn't
> seem to work?

The Sarge installer (at least the version I used, on DVD) allowes you to
choose between Grub and Lilo. Maybe you have to select expert mode to
make that choice available.

I am also not sure when exactly your Sarge hang - at the Grub screen, or
the moment you tried to boot the system from Grub. If the latter is the
case, then it is maybe a kernel problem.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976