Re: Using an unstable package with an otherwise stable distribution

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 11:08:44PM -0400, ted wrote:
> I'd really like to use Mozilla 1.7.3 on my powerpc, but either the
> documentation I've read on how to do so is wrong or I don't understand it.
>
> I've tried editing my /etc/apt/sources.list to include unstable, and
> then gave the command "apt-get -t unstable install mozilla" (and
> mozilla-browser) without luck.
> The package can't be found.
>
> I tried "apt-get install mozilla-browser=1.7.3-4" which should be the
> powerpc version.  Again, the package can't be found.

No, don't do that.  Be happy that it didn't work.

> I tried the debian IRC and someone suggested backport.org, but that only
> has the i386 version.
>
> Advice?

Download the source for the backports.org version and build it on your
ppc box.  Or just simply use the tarball version from mozilla.org.

--
Blast you and your estrogenical treachery!