cgi.pm and related issues

I have some problems with cgi that I can't figure out. I've installed
every package that has cgi.pm, see next
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?version=unstable&arch=i386&case=insensitive&word=cgi.pm&searchmode=searchword
But still I get into a lot of problems. So I wonder if there is
something in the debian sid standard installation that I am not aware
of. Since I am only starting to learn some perl, I even copied and
pasted the script from
http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/examples/tryit.txt but still
didn't work.
I put it in /home/tony/cgi/, and made the corresponding
adjustment in httpd.conf. I made it executable.
However, this is what I get in error.log

[Tue Oct 12 14:19:42 2004] [error] (2)No such file or directory: exec of /home/tony/cgi/try failed
[Tue Oct 12 14:19:42 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of script headers: /home/tony/cgi/try

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, even if they start with "are
you blind?"
TIATA